(serves 4 to 6)
While the average tacos made in your house probably include lettuce and tomatoes as a garnish, there's an even better way to make sure your family gets at least two full servings of vegetables and protein in every bite. My veggie-pinto-turkey tacos are bursting with them and are very low in fat and calories at the same time. Truth be told, you really don't need to be an accomplished "cook" to make these, and you'll feel very good about serving your family something delicious, healthy and fun. The secret to cutting the fat and sneaking in proteins, vitamins and minerals is to mix them all together into one powerful punch! These health-minded tacos can be made in about 15 minutes, which is ideal after a long day. For those of you out there who think your families won't eat ground turkey instead of beef, you have my permission not to tell them. Trust me, they'll probably never realize you made the switch! The best part about this meal is that the leftover filling can be saved and used to make nachos, taco salads, or simply eaten all by itself. That's a gift that keeps on giving for the busy working woman or mom. Ole!!!
1 lb. 99% fat free ground turkey
1 packet of low sodium Taco seasoning (I prefer Ortega)
1 package of taco shells (soft or hard)
1 can of pinto or cannellini beans (drained)
1 can of corn
Fresh mushrooms (coarsely chopped)
1 tbsp of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
Lettuce (coarsely chopped)
Grape tomatoes (sliced in quarters)
Fat free shredded taco (or Mexican) blend cheese
Fat free sour cream
- Fully cook ground turkey in a large skillet over medium heat. Toss in 2 tbsps of water while the poultry is cooking to keep it moist. There is no need to drain afterward. Make sure to break up the pieces of turkey with a wooden spoon while cooking.
- Add 1 can of drained pinto/cannellini beans to the poultry, along with 1 can of corn and 1 package of freshly chopped mushrooms. Toss the turkey, beans, corn and mushrooms as well as 1 tbsp of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter in the skillet on medium for about 3 minutes. All of the ingredients will cook down and blend together.
- Add taco seasoning to this mixture with 3/4 cup of water over medium heat and stir vigorously until the water blends and/or evaporates and everything is coated. Remove from heat.
- Warm your soft or hard taco shells in the oven or microwave until warm to the touch.
- Chop your lettuce and tomatoes and set aside in a bowl with shredded cheese.
- Make an assembly line!! Have your family and guests make their own veggie-pinto-turkey tacos, and make sure they garnish with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, salsa and sour cream!
Real Meals for the Working Woman